Department/DivisionOperations / Transportation
PaygradeATU - Coach Operator
Supervision Received FromFixed Route Manager
Responsible for safely operating a motor coach and transporting passengers displaying a professional attitude and effective customer service over specified routes.
- Knowledge of the rules, regulations and standard operating procedures of the system.
- Knowledge of System services and safe transit vehicle operations.
- Ability to safely operate System transit coaches and vans.
- Ability to resolve customer complaints courteously and tactfully.
- Ability to communicate effectively, and follow oral and written directions.
- Ability to prepare accurate records and reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, other agencies and the general public using tact, courtesy and good judgment.
- Ability to perform all essential functions of a Van Operator position on an emergency basis.
- Ability to successfully complete the System's operator training program
- Must be 21 years of age and have an acceptable motor vehicle driving record.
- Must pass a Washington State Patrol background check. (Effective May 18, 2009: Must pass a Washington State Patrol and/or other agency type background check).
- Must posses and maintain a Class "B" Commercial Driver's License with passenger and air brake endorsements; must maintain an acceptable driving record level throughout employment as monitored by periodic reviews of driving record.
- Physical ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to work varying shifts, hours and days, including early mornings, late evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Must comply with the standards of the Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986, and as periodically amended.
- Must pass a job-offer employment related physical examination to include a drug and alcohol screen prior to appointment to position.
Training and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED desirable.
- Demonstrated responsible work experience of at least one (1) year dealing directly with the public.
- Public bus driving experience desirable.
- Or any combination of education and experience which would provide the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge and ability required to perform the job.
- Individual may be required to attend school/workshops on a yearly basis to maintain skill level necessary to carry out position responsibilities.
The above job description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the department.