Department/DivisionAdministrative Services / Human Resources
Supervision Received FromHuman Resources Director
Acts as initial contact for the administrative office. Provides staff assistance and administrative support for a variety of office administration, customer service, and data processing duties in support of agency.
Performs administrative support activities for several agency departments. As an Assistant, primarily performs specialized and routine tasks of a support nature requiring knowledge of several departments, department activities, and general office processes and procedures. Work performed is within general parameters.
- Customer service and public relations principles;
- Modern office procedures and equipment;
- Telephone etiquette;
- Business English, grammar and punctuation;
- Bookkeeping principles;
- Recordkeeping principles;
- Basic mathematical concepts;
- Filing procedures and practices;
- Office organizational practices;
- Word processing methods;
- Applicable Federal, State and Local laws, rules, and regulations.
- Maintaining confidentiality;
- Using a computer and related software applications: Excel, Microsoft Word;
- Operating phone systems;
- Providing customer service;
- Handling difficult customers;
- Inventorying, ordering, purchasing supplies;
- Using proper English, grammar, punctuation, and spelling;
- Reading and interpreting documents;
- Analyzing and compiling data, and comparing various sources of information;
- Prioritizing work and performing multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Processing and maintaining a variety of forms, paperwork, reports, records;
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, vendors, and the general public sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
Must submit to criminal background check, the results of which must meet hiring criteria for the role.
Positions in this class typically require: fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Training and Experience:
Associates Degree and three years of increasingly responsible administrative support experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
The above job description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the department.