Plans, organizes, leads, manages, and performs complex professional-level analytical and coordination for human resources programs and projects, with expertise in one or more HR functions including recruitment and selection, labor relations, compensation administration, health and welfare programs, drug and alcohol programs, unemployment insurance and workers’ compensation. While additionally implementing strategies that advance the priorities of the Agency and support sustainable HR programs.
Performs the most complex professional level work of the human resources programs, serving as an internal Agency consultant providing recommendations on the most sensitive human resources issues. As the HR Manager, works independently under limited direction and ensures agency compliance with internal rules, regulations and policies, as well as local, state and federal laws and regulatory requirements related to areas of functional responsibilities. This position reports to the Administrative Services Director and supervises support staff.
- Supervisory principles and practices;
- Public sector human resources principles and practices;
- Union contracts and labor agreements administration practices;
- Knowledge of labor laws and the principles and practices of employee and labor relations and public sector collective bargaining;
- Knowledge of team development methods and team-based work methods;
- Risk management principles and practices;
- Applicable Federal, State, and Local laws, rules, and regulations;
- Conflict resolution techniques;
- Budgeting principles and practices;
- Basic supervisory techniques and concepts to plan, direct, and evaluate the work of others;
- Mathematical concepts, including statistical analysis.
- Reading, analyzing, and interpreting general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations;
- Facilitating meetings and training sessions;
- Creating fair and equitable hiring practices that support the development and retention of a diverse and inclusive staff;
- Exercising discretion in highly sensitive personnel matters while building trust and developing positive working relationships within the agency;
- Leadership, communication, team building and problem-solving;
- Conducting thorough and impartial investigations into serious and/or complex employment situations;
- Working well under pressure, deadlines, and changing priorities;
- Managing projects;
- Interpreting and administering labor agreements;
- Drafting policies and procedures;
- Maintaining records;
- Handling multiple tasks simultaneously and managing competing demands and deadlines;
- Providing excellent customer service;
- Preparing reports and business correspondence;
- Working with mathematical concepts;
- Defining problems, collecting data, establishing facts, and drawing valid conclusions and making sound decisions under pressure;
- Analyzing, developing and implementing process improvements;
- Communication, collaboration, and strong interpersonal skills to build effective relationships with a wide array of individuals having similar and different skill and ability;
- Ability to work across the agency with tact, diplomacy, discretion, sensitivity, and confidentiality.
- None required.
- Must submit to criminal background check the results of which must meet hiring criteria for the role.
Positions in this class typically require: fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motion.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Training and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, or a related field;
- Five years of professional human resources experience, including two years of supervisory experience;
- Experience developing and implementing recruitment strategies and programs preferred;
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
The above job description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the department.